If you like my blog please Follow, and I'll hop along and return the favour

Monday, October 10, 2011

Two for One

Crafters are supposedly very good at recycling.............


So here's two cards I made for the price of one, or rather with the scraps!!!


I was really fortunate to pick up quite a bit of Silk card this year at Summer Crafting, so I do tend to use it quite a bit, sorry. But it really does Squeak if you use distress inks on it!!!


Firstly I was playing with the Spellbinders Shapeabilities Ironwork Motifs dies one night, and using Happy Cut made an aperture in some silk art card. Then was stuck with a star / snowflake aperture that I hadnt got a clue what to do with, I did say that I was playing didnt I?
Well a few days of looking at it thinking "Ok, yep, really pretty, now what ARE you going to do with it?" Inspiration struck!!
A bit of Tim Holtz Broken China Distress ink, on a blending tool, took care of the edges. and I routed out the Ironworks Motif die, and carefully popped it back in to distress over it, again with the Broken china. A Piece of my secret stash of Hunky Dory Snowfall Acetate, not too much, just enough to cover the aperture from the inside, I may buy it every time I visit Inspirations in Preston (Every week), but you dont need to tell anyone else that!!! So now what do I do on the inside.................
So I routed out the peice I had cut out with the Happy Cut a few days earlier, and used it as a stencil on the inside of the aperture. The reason I did it this way was the die itself doesnt have a lot of detail to stencil, as such, and I wanted quite a strong image, so I used the Broken China again, and stenciled it using the blending tool. I found a very small rubber stamp, from the Crafters Companions Adorables winter rubber stamps from last year, and stamped in the middle of the star. Then to Finish the outside of the card, I used a variety of Peel off snowflakes, from my stash, and imported some christmas roses from My Craft studio Click Print go Christmas Flowers, into My craft studio, and adjusted the colour to a pale blue, and assembled them, a quick papermania Noel stencil and Hey Presto card done!!!


So to the second card. I had this lovely snowflake/star, what to do with it? In the end, I made a 5 x 5 silk card blank, distressed it again with good old Broken China, used a Papermania Snowfall embossing folder, with the Happy Cut, added some Papermania gems, and hey presto, a pretty little card made from the scraps as it were!!!

2 comments:

Jo said...

Gorgeous!
Jo x

Shoshi said...

I really like these, Lou! Always gives you a boost when you can do 2 for 1 and not waste anything! I like mopping up my distress inks onto scraps of card and using them as backgrounds, and I've just had such fun with the doily I used as a stencil! Several for 1 with that doily!

Hugs,
Shoshi